PoleMaster – a high precision, easy to use electric polar scope
As any seasoned astroimager would agree, achieving good polar alignment is not an easy task. You may spend hours under precious dark sky trying to get perfect polar alignment, but in the end one often does not know whether good alignment has in fact been achieved. Even after you have obtained good alignment, a knock on the mount may send the polar alignment off and you have no other choice but to start again. Soon it will be dawn and time to pack up your gear……..
Now there is a great solution to this age-old problem that is polar alignment – PoleMaster. PoleMaster is an innovative product pioneered by QHYCCD to relieve the pain of polar alignment. With PoleMaster and following a few simple, easy-to-follow steps, you can achieve that perfect polar alignment in 2-3 minutes, with an accuracy of up to 30 arc seconds.
How does PoleMaster work? Well, the idea is actually fairly simple. You find out where the pole is, then determine the mechanical axis of rotation of your mount and finally make the two coincide. While the idea is simple, this has not been implemented in a commercial product – until now. PoleMaster makes use of a super sensitive wide field imaging camera along the axis of RA to monitor the polar region in real time (so not only it can detect Polaris but also the dimmer stars surrounding). From the positions of these stars PoleMaster can determine the position of the true pole and compare that to the mechanical axis of RA rotation. Polar alignment is now a simple matter of moving the two centres of rotation so they overlap. Piece of cake!
In comparison with other polar alignment techniques, PoleMaster has the following advantage:
1. Speed and convenience: With PoleMaster you do not need to move the telescope to specific place just so to unblock the polar scope. You do not need to kneel or contort your body to look through the polar scope. You do not need to fully dark adapt just to see the pole star. You do not need to level your mount. You do not need to worry about the entering the date and time in your handset and figure out where to rotate the mount to coincide with the current pole star position.
2. Accuracy: With a high precision camera, one can achieve accuracy not achievable with naked eye. As the imaging camera in PoleMaster has a resolution of 30 arc second, the best polar alignment that can be achieved by PoleMaster is also in the order of 30 arc seconds.
3. Wide angle view of the polar region: A wide field of view of 11×8 degree makes it super easy to locate the pole star
4. Easy to install: PoleMaster can be easily installed onto any equatorial mount through mount-specific adapters, even on mount without polar scope.
5. Real time polar alignment checking / adjustment: By using PoleMaster you can monitor your polar alignment in real time. In the event that polar alignment is lost, it is now a simple matter to bring it back without having to start from scratch.
6. Three star alignment no longer needed: Once you are polar aligned, you will only need to perform one star alignment – a real time saver.
7. Perfect companion to single axis mounts: When used with single (RA-only) axis mount, good polar alignment will minimise drift in the DEC axis therefore maximising the performance of your mount.
PoleMaster is a patented product of QHYCCD with China Patent and International PCT. Please only use genuine QHYCCD product. Your support is always appreciated and will take QHYCCD to the next level in providing excellent products and service to fellow astronomers alike.
QHYCCD OEMs PoleMaster to iOptron. QHYCCD grants the license to iOptron for displaying their logo on PoleMaster. It is only for use with iOptron equatorial mount. For mount of other brands, please use QHYCCD branded PoleMaster.
UK DeliveryPrices include postage to all mainland UK addresses, except where indicated. Larger items may attract a surcharge for off shore or remote locations.When your item is dispatched, you will receive an email from our shopping cart saying ‘Your order is complete’We use Royal Mail and Courier services, whichever is more appropriate for the weight and value of your order.International Delivery:Website prices DO NOT include International delivery costs unless specified.We are happy to ship to most countries. We use a variety of Royal Mail and Courier services, depending on the weight, size, value and urgency of your order.Place your order via the shopping cart and you will be advised by email of additional shipping charges prior to the processing and dispatch of your order.Or simply email us for details of shipping charges to your country before you place your order.Some items which are particularly popular with overseas purchasers already display, in the purchase menu, combined purchase and shipping costs to various regions adjusted for UK VAT (sales tax) where necessary.If you reside outside the European Union, please check with your customs authorities for details of any import taxes, duties and other charges that may be imposed on entry to your country. We have no control over these.
2″ Visual Back Adaptor with T2 female thread which allows the use of 2″ eyepieces on telescopes / accessories with a male T thread.
Please note this adapter is supplied with one set screw at the present time.
The Sky-Watcher & Clones to C Mount Adapter for Straight Through Finders Connects QHY5-II, QHY5L-II, Lodestar, Orion SSAIO, Mintron, Watec & DMK cameras, via the C mount adapter to Sky-Watcher, most Celestron (see below) and Orion 8 x 50 & 9 x 50 straight through finders.
The Celestron 1mm C Mount Adapter for Straight Through Finders connects guide cameras with C / CS mounts to Celestron Finders with 1mm rear finder thread. Price includes postage.
9 x 50 finders are in effect 50mm telescopes with a focal length of around 180mm. “Thoughts on Auto-Guiding” explains how they work well as guidescopes.